Step 1: Take the Initial Assessment + Sign Up
Make sure you’ve filled out your initial assessment based on the condition of your skin within the last couple of weeks. Click here if you haven’t started.
Be thorough with noting your zip code, diet, and lifestyle, as your custom serum will cater to how those factors affect your skin. Adding in each product in your existing skincare routine also ensures your custom serum complements the products you're already using.
At the end of the assessment, sign up for your Atolla Skin Health Plan: a multi-month journey to help you reach your skin goals. Your first shipment includes a starter formula that's generated by our patented predictive algorithm, and a Skin Health Kit to fine-tune your serum by learning about your skin's oil, moisture, and pH levels.
Step 2: Do the Skin Health Kit
After using your starter serum for a few (2-3) weeks, it’s time to check your measurements with the Skin Health Kit. For optimal results and consistency, do your skin analysis first thing in the morning, before you start your skincare routine. That means before you rinse or use cleanser, moisturizer, serum, sunscreen, or makeup. If you’ve already washed your face, you can still use your kit — just wait 20-30 minutes before starting.
To begin the skin testing, log in to your account at atolla.co/login on your mobile device, and refer to this page for more tips and tricks to get the most accurate results on each test.
Once you open your kit, you’ll find three sets of tools: oil, moisture, and pH tests.
A. The Oil Test
- Peel off the tool labeled “A” from right to left, as shown, being careful not to touch the test area (the grey circle area with a teal border) underneath with your fingers.
- Place the side of the strip with the grey circle to your forehead. Gently press with your finger for about 10-15 seconds.
- Remove the test from your forehead.
- Using the back of the provided envelope, place your test on the outline.
- Use the camera app to take a picture of your results. Refer to the Scanning section if you’d like more tips for optimal scanning conditions.
- Repeat steps 1-4 on your cheek using the tool labeled “B."
Scanning (only on mobile)
Congrats! You’ve completed an oil test and you're ready to get your instant result. If you're on iOS, make sure you are upgraded to the latest operating system so that the scanning functionality works.
Place your completed test flat in the outline on the back of your Skin Health Kit wallet. After pressing CAPTURE NOW in the app, take a picture of your test. Make sure the grey circular part of the test is focused and well-lit, as shown above.
Using your photo, match the yellow line on your test with the one provided on the app overlay. Pinch or spread your fingers to zoom in and out to resize the photo, and use two fingers to rotate to align as needed.
Our system will scan and analyze your photo in a few seconds and show your results!
Having a hard time scanning? Manual mode will pop up so that you can choose the photo that looks most similar to what you see on your tool.
B. The Moisture Test
- Peel off the tool labeled “C” from right to left, as shown, being careful not to touch the test area (black circle with teal border) underneath with your fingers.
- Place the side of the strip with the grey circle to your forehead. Gently press with your finger for about 20-30 seconds.
- Remove the test from your forehead.
- Choose the image that looks most like your test strip results.
- Repeat steps 1-4 on your cheek using the tool labeled “D.”
C. The pH Test
- Carefully open the silver sachet and dip one of the pH test strips in the liquid for 1-2 seconds. We have provided an extra strip as a spare.
- Shake off the excess liquid before gently pressing the wet colored side of the pH strip anywhere on your face for 20 seconds.
- After removing the test, choose the color pair result that most closely matches with your own pH strip.
Step 3: Track Your Progress
Now that you’ve gotten your results, take a selfie so you can keep track of your skin health progress as you use your personalized serum.
The optimal settings are facing a natural light source with any smoothing filters turned off. After taking your front-facing picture, take a side profile facing the left and the right in the same conditions. We’ll keep them in your dashboard so you can always visually keep track of your own progress.
Note: These pictures are 100% confidential and solely for your own usage.
Step 4: Update Your Formula
Come back to your Atolla account each month so we can continue to adapt your serum to fit your skin needs.
First, we’ll ask you to list any updates to your diet and lifestyle. Then, you’ll retest your skin’s oil, moisture, and pH levels. The Atolla algorithm will calibrate your formula to match any changes that may have happened since your last kit.
Even if you haven’t seen visible progress yet, you’ll be thanking yourself later for tracking each step of your skin health journey. It's always easier to see if you have progress pictures and skin data to compare to. Remember, your skin is unique and your progress will be as well!